Home — Additional Work
Jump to teaching, grants, community or design and development.
News, talks, press, awards, events
- Oct.: Our work on Programmable Liquid Matter, published at ISS 2017 (see publication PDF) was featured in ACM TechNews, Phys.org, Sci-News, and many more
- Sept.: Part of the team running the new Hololec mixed reality learning environment. See also the news coverage of the facility
- June: Launched our open source Better Together Toolkit that seamlessly links multiple mobiles for disaggregation of services in Cape Town, South Africa, at codeX and University of Cape Town
- Feb.: Awarded Associate Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy
- Jan.: Our work deploying Physical Web beacons in Dharavi was featured in The Times of India, Business Standard, The Hindu, Mumbai Mirror, Quartz India and Catch News, amongst other venues.
- Nov.: Organised the Swansea University Computer Science Student Colloquium at Gregynog
- Oct.: Organised the Swansea University Computer Science Maker Competition
- Aug.: Co-organised a tutorial and workshop as well as presenting our paper at MobileHCI 2015
- April: Co-organised a course and workshop as well as our paper at CHI 2015
- Organised the Swansea University Computer Science Student Colloquium at Gregynog
- “Change Champion” for Swansea University College of Science, and ongoing co-lead of the Science Together theme
Teaching and supervision
- Introduction to Human-Computer Interaction (CS-200)
- Undergraduate project colloquium (Gregynog)
- 2014 — 2015:
- Mobile Interaction Design (CS-349/CS-M29)
- PhD students, current and previous:
Funded proposals and grants
- CHERISH-DE Escalator grant to create an interactive VR installation in the Hafod-Morfa Copperworks (Co-applicant)
- Impact Acceleration Award to fund multi-device mobile work (Co-applicant)
- Global Challenges Research Fund Award: Empowering Base of Pyramid Users through the Physical Web (Co-applicant)
- CHERISH-DE International Mobility grant for continued work with IIT-Bombay, Mumbai (Co-applicant)
- Research Enabling Fund grant for continued partnership with Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble (Co-applicant)
- Strategic Impact Partnership with Rowanvale Books (Co-applicant)
- Bridging the Gaps grant for prospective partnership with Grenoble universities (Co-applicant)
- US9041562B2 & US9047059B2: Controlling a Voice Site Using Non Standard Haptic Commands. S. Robinson, A. Jain, N. Rajput
- Co-organiser of:
- Co-instructor for:
- Workshops chair (with Julie R. Williamson) for MobileHCI 2017
- Program Committee member for:
- CHI 2018
- MobileHCI 2017
- AfriCHI 2016
- Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM) 2015–2017
- DE Sustainable Society Network+ Symposium and Hackathon in Social Media and Interaction
- NordiCHI 2014 workshop Personal or Social? Designing Mobile Interactions for Co-located Interaction
- ECSCW 2013 workshop Designing Mobile Face-to-Face Group Interactions
- ECIR 2011 workshop Information Management and Retrieval in Mobile Adhoc Societies
- Co-Editor-in-Chief (with Julie R. Williamson) of mUX: The Journal of Mobile User Experience (2015–2017)
- Human Computer Interaction Track Chair of XRCI Open 2016
- Panel member for MobileHCI 2014 Doctoral Consortium
- Reviewing for CHI, CSCW, Ubicomp, MobileHCI, INTERACT, DIS, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, APCHI, NordiCHI, IUI, MUM, SICDC, Computers in Human Behavior
- Member of Swansea University Computer Science Department's Ethics and Risk Assessment Committee
- CHERISH-DE Escalator fund and Crucible panel member
- Innovation and R&D theme co-lead for Swansea University's Digital Strategy
- Change Champion as part of the Science Together working group for the College's Science 2020 vision
- Co-organiser of the Gregynog undergraduate colloquium and College of Science maker competition
Theses & related items
S. Robinson, Eyes-Off Physically Grounded Mobile Interaction.
PhD Thesis, Swansea University, October 2012.
S. Robinson, Heads-up Engagement with the Real World: Multimodal Techniques for Bridging the Physical-Digital Divide.
In CHI 2010 Doctoral Consortium (pages 2895–2898), Atlanta, April 2010.
- S. Robinson,
Fusing the Physical and Digital: Making Maps using Gestures and Sensors.
MSc Thesis, FIT Lab, University of Wales, Swansea, July 2008.
- S. Robinson,
A Pen-Based Interactive Graphing Tool.
BSc Thesis, Computer Science Department, University of Wales, Swansea, May 2006.
Design and development
Selected Android apps, all of which are open source (see all apps):
Websites, such as: